HABC LEVEL 2 INTERNATIONAL AWARD IN POOL LIFEGUARD QUALIFICATION (PLQ)
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is recommended for learners wishing to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to become a qualified pool lifeguard. It covers the preparation, health and safety of a pool environment, and how to respond to emergencies and emergency situations in a swimming pool environment.
How long will it take?
To complete this qualification learners should expect to undertake approximately 20 hours of learning.
include the preparation and health and safety of a pool environment, and how to respond to emergencies and emergency situations in a swimming pool environment.
Be at least 16 years of age
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water
- Tread water for 5 minutes
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool to recovery an Aquatic sunken mannequin weighing more than 4KG. This must be done at the deepest part of the pool or at a depth of 3m
- Climb out of the pool without the use of ladders/steps Minimum Level one english
Practical Assessment and CPR
- Primary Survey
- Secondary Assessment
- Recovery Position
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Adult
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Children
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Infants
- Bleeding & Management of Shock
- Minor Injuries
- Incident Reporting
- Pool Life Guard
- Timed Swim
- Practical rescue-Immediate response
- Towing and Return to Poolside, or Progressive Rescue
- Recovering a submersible manikin from the bottom of the pool
- Vertical Lift with either 2 or 3 lifeguards assisting in the lift
- Casualty extraction- assisted step-out
- Vice grip turn of a spinally injured casualty in deep water and trawl for 5 meters
- Arm splint rollover of a spinally injured casualty in standing depth water
- Application of the rescue board, either from an arm splint rollover or a vice grip turn and trawl
- Action for Vomit
- Assessment Scenario
- Assessment Questions
The validity period of the award is to years from the date of the assessment
Training and assessment for the NPLQ is in three sections and all must be successfully passed to attain the NPLQ.
Section 1 – The Lifeguard and the Law, Swimming Pool Supervision
Section 2 – Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
Section 3 – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, AED, and First Aid